If you have a question or suggestion to list here, contact the Webmaster at webmaster@ftthomas.org.

When are the regular Council meetings and where are they held?

3rd Monday of each month at 7:00 P.M. except in the months of June and September where they will meet on the 1st and 3rd Mondays, in the Council Chamber on the 2nd Floor of the City Building. If a State or Federal holiday falls on a Monday, then the council meeting will be held on Tuesday.

What are the normal office hours for the city building?

The City of Fort Thomas Administrative offices are open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. During the month of October the Finance Department is open Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until noon to allow for the payment of property taxes.

What is the procedure for attending a Council meeting and speaking to them about a problem, suggestion, or complaint?

Call the Clerk’s Office to get your name and address placed on the agenda. The Mayor will call on you when it is time to speak. There is a time near the beginning of the Council meeting where anyone may bring items to the attention of Council. However, it is helpful to know ahead of time who will be at the meeting to allow for preliminary study of the issue.

Any citizen of Fort Thomas may speak during the time on the Council agenda where the Mayor calls for “any issue or problem that any citizen would like to bring to Council’s attention.” There are circumstances when someone who is not a citizen would request to speak. For example, a visitor from another city, county, or state government, or from a regional or local agency (examples: from Campbell County Fiscal Court, from the Chamber of Commerce or United Way). They may need to bring information, to make a request of the Council as a whole, or be present in response to a question or request of Council. Any issue that are specific, of a personal or individual matter, or involve sales materials are referred to the City staff. Any issues that Council needs to investigate further before making a decision are referred to one of six Council Standing Committees. The Mayor sets an informal time limit of 10 minutes for any one speaker and there is a requirement that any group larger than 5 wishing to speak on an issue should name a spokesperson to communicate for the group.

What is the best way to make an appointment with the Mayor, or City Administrator, or Councilmember?

Call (859) 572-1202, and the city clerk will assist you in setting an appointment.

How can I get a copy of a City Ordinance?

Call the City Clerk Office at (859) 572-1202 to request a copy of ordinances that have been adopted by the Board of Council. You may be required to complete an Open Records Request form and pay a minimal copy fee. City ordinances can also be found on the internet at: http://www.amlegal.com/ft_thomas_ky/

How do I apply for employment with the City?

If in response to an advertisement, bring or mail the required information to the City Offices,130 N. Fort Thomas Ave., Fort Thomas, KY 41075. If the City has not advertised a job opening, you may fill out a general application, designate your qualifications, attach a resume and your information and it will be held on file for one year. Click Here for Application

How do I apply for Civil Service testing for positions of Police Officer or Firefighter/Paramedic?

The City holds annual tests for these positions. Contact the Clerk’s Office at (859) 572-1202 for testing dates and to receive an application form. Eligibility lists are good for one year from the date of the test. Positions are filled from eligibility lists.

Where can I pay a City Citation (ticket)?

If you were issued a “City citation” ticket, it can be paid via mail or in person. If paying by mail, put the payment into the envelope provided, seal and mail. To pay in person, bring citation and payment to the City Building Finance Office during regular business hours.

How do I obtain an occupational license?

The Campbell County Fiscal Court, located at 1010 Monmouth Street in Newport, issues all city occupational and payroll licenses. For more information call 859-292-3884.

How do I get a replacement recycling bin?

Replacement recycling bins can be obtained from Rumpke by calling 1-877-786-7537.

What is the date and time for Trick or Treat and how is this decided?

Council makes the decision, usually in August, based on which day of the week October 31 falls on. The dates selected by surrounding communities may also be considered. Over the past several years, Trick or Treat has been scheduled on the 31st. The date will be posted in the “NEWS” sections of this web site.

When is the 4th of July parade and what is the theme this year?

The Parade begins at Highlands High School at 10:30 A.M. and rolls south on Fort Thomas Avenue to Tower Park. The theme and the Grand Marshal are chosen by Committee.

How do I get a 4th of July Parade Permit?

The City of Fort Thomas can be contacted for information and forms for the parade. 859-441-1055.

The Campbell County Y.M.C.A. also sponsors and coordinates the Firecracker 5000 Run and Children’s Run held early in the morning before the parade. Please contact them at 859-781-1814.

Are there other events and fireworks for the 4th of July?

The city holds an Independence Celebration at Tower Park for families and kids of all ages!  The Independence Celebration consists of a classic car show, music, food and drinks. Please make sure to check the website for that year’s date of the celebration.

What is the procedure for having a Block Party?

Call (859) 572-1202 and the City Clerk can email, fax or mail you a form or you can CLICK HERE to print. The City asks that you complete the form with signatures of those residents whose homes will be blocked off, with the street location, date and hours of the Block Party and return it to the city clerk. Copies of this form are given to both the Police and Fire Departments so they will be aware of the block party if an emergency occurs.

Can I get a permit to hang a banner across a city street?

No. This practice has been discontinued.

Where can I get a vendors license?

The issuance of vendors licenses is handled by Campbell County Fiscal Court. Call 859-292-3884 for more information.

How many times can you have a yard sale within a year and do I need a permit?

There is an informal limit of 3 garage or yard sales that a citizen may have at their home during a year. The City’s General Services Department issues these permits at no charge in order to regulate the number and to make the Police Department aware of any possible extra traffic, signs, etc. that could occur as a result of the sale.

During the week of a holiday, when will trash collection be made?

Our waste collector does not pick up trash on January 1st or December 25th. If your normal waste collection day falls on one of these days, it will be collected the following day.

When can trash and recycling be set out?

The City’s Ordinance regulating waste collection and recycling requires that items be placed at the curb no earlier than 5:00 P.M. the evening before collection day and that empty containers be removed on the day of collection.

Can we set out large items for trash collection?

Bulk items may be set out with your regular weekly trash collection. The following guidelines must be followed when setting out large items:

Any bulk items that may contain freon (such as air conditioners or refrigerators) must be serviced by a CFC/HCFC removal technician before the waste collector can pick it up. Many heating and air conditioning service companies can provide this service. Additionally, a form certifying that the freon has been removed must be affixed to the item. This form can be found on our website at: https://www.ftthomas.org/RumpkeRefrigerantForm.pdf or by visiting the City Building.
Brush will be removed only when bundled. Bundles must be no larger than 5′ long and no more than 18″ in diameter.
Carpet will be removed only when placed in 5′ x 18″ diameter rolls. The rolls should be tightly tied or taped.
Large items that will not be picked up include major automobile or truck parts such as engines, hoods, and transmissions. Construction debris, barrels and drums are not acceptable for curbside pickup.

Paint – how do I dispose of paint?

Our waste collector will not accept paint that is still in liquid form. Dry out liquid paint by removing the lid and letting the paint harden completely. Paint can also be dried by mixing sand or kitty litter into the can, then expose the can to the open air until it is completely dried out (this may take several weeks). Keep the can out of reach of children, animals and heat sources and take precautions to prevent spillage.

What are the rules on Election Signs?


Election signs are permitted to be placed on private property, subject to the following conditions:

1. Where signs are otherwise permitted, an election sign may be erected no sooner than sixty (60) days before the election and the sign shall be removed within ten (10) days following the election to which it applies; the owner of the property on which the sign is placed shall be responsible for its removal.

2. Election signs may not be erected or placed on public property, or on rocks, trees, public fences, sign posts, light poles, or utility poles on public property.


1. Temporary signs announcing or relating to a campaign, drive or event of a civic, philanthropic, educational or religious organization are allowed without a permit. One (1) is allowed per lot and shall not exceed twelve (12) square feet, double faced. These signs shall be removed within forty-eight (48) hours of the conclusion of the event for which they relate.

Comments are closed.