FAQs (Police)



If you have a question or suggestion to list here, contact the Webmaster at webmaster@ftthomas.org.



What are good examples of when to call 911?

The Campbell County Combined Dispatch Center provides a link between the citizens of the city and the public safety departments and personnel in the event of an emergency. The 9-1-1 system is one of the most state-of-the-art features in the County. But when should you call 9-1-1?

  • Crimes in Progress
  • Life Threatening Situations
  • Fires
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents of major traffic and street obstructions
  • Injuries requiring emergency medical attention
  • Hazardous chemical spills
  • Smoke detector or Carbon Monoxide Detectors sounding
  • Sparking electrical hazards
  • Smoke in a building
  • Any other EMERGENCY or if you aren’t sure, but feel it is serious, CALL 911


What are good examples of when NOT to call 911?
  • Asking directions in the city
  • Inquiring about school openings or closings
  • Questions about any UTILITY OUTAGE (i.e. Power, Water, Cable TV)
  • Reporting a blocked driveway
  • Reporting an obstructed hydrant
  • Questions about snow emergencies or parking bans
  • Reporting a noise complaint
  • Questions about traffic tickets
  • All other NON-EMERGENCY situations


What happens if I hangup before 911 is answered?

At the 911 center all the information is displayed even though the caller has hung up. The 911 center will attempt a call-back to see if there is an emergency. The dispatcher may send a police unit to verify the situation.


What do I tell my children about 911?

Emergencies present a scary situation for children. At times they may not know what to do. Below you will find some tips on how to teach your child how to use and when to use the 9-1-1 system.


Some children may have heard about 9-1-1 from school, television, or friends, but may not understand what it is used for. Children may not be sure what a real emergency is. Remind children to dial 9-1-1 when they need help to save a life, stop a crime or report a fire. Inform your child that if they are ever lost and feel that they are not safe, to pick up a phone and dial 911 and they will be helped.


The most important thing you can do is to talk with your child about 9-1-1 and when they should call. Tell your child that if they ever have to call 9-1-1 there will be person on the other end who is going to help them.

REMEMBER: 911 on Pay Phones is FREE. If your child is lost, or out in public and needs help, the Pay Phone can be a life-line to a child that needs help. They may not know where they are, but the pay phone tells the dispatcher where they are.


When there are no adults at home every child or babysitter should have the following information posted by the phone:

  • A list of emergency numbers
  • Your home phone number and the address
  • Any other contact information (pager numbers, cell phone numbers, neighbors numbers)

The best time to prepare for an emergency is now!! Don’t wait until one happens!


Can I call 911 from my Cell Phone? How does it know where to send my call?

Yes you can use 911 from a Cell Phone. There are a few things to consider before dialing:

  • The call is free and even works from a charged cell phone that has no service (it will count minutes on the phone, but you are not charged).
  • Although Cell Phone technologies are greatly improving, your call will be routed to the jurisdiction in which the RECEIVING CELL TOWER is standing. It is not uncommon for people in Cincinnati to get a dispatcher in Fort Thomas or Newport or vice-versa.
    • Understanding this, tell the 911 call-taker WHERE YOU ARE and verify that the 911 operator you reach is in the jurisdiction in which you need help before you start giving the emergency data.


What are some examples of things I should call the Police Dispatch telephone number 859-292-3622 for?

There are countless things you should use the Police Department’s regular dispatch line 859-292-3622 for, but here are a few guides to follow:

  • To report an incident to the Police Department that does not require the immediate dispatch of an officer to the scene, or when some time has elapsed since the occurrence of the incident, such as reporting an inactive burglary, an inactive theft, that took place some time ago.
  • Minor NON-INJURY accidents.
  • To report a crime that is NOT IN PROGRESS.
  • General NON-EMERGENCY, NON-Life-Threatening situations that clearly need to be handled by police now.


What are some examples of things I should call the Police Administrative telephone number for (859-441-6562)?
  • To ask questions about policing and criminal law (not legal advise), or help with parking situations, disturbances, speeding complaints, dog trouble, etc.
  • To request records and copies of reports.
  • To inquire about a towed vehicle.
  • To inquire about ordinances and laws.
  • To reach the administrative personnel of the police department. (I.E. The Chief, The Administrative Lieutenant or the Police Records Clerk.)


Are there things I should not call the police for at all?

Yes. When you call a police and fire dispatch center, you are calling a person who handles Police, Fire and EMS radio traffic and all 911 telephone lines. There are times that people call with issues that are clearly not police or fire matters and should be directed elsewhere in order to keep this personnel free to handle emergency situations and general police issues. If you are in doubt, don’t risk it, GO AHEAD AND CALL. SOME EXAMPLES ARE (and keep in mind these are listed because they are actually calls that are made):

  • Inquiring about school openings or closings for snow. Listen to the radio. Often during snow or bad weather, the dispatch center is swamped with emergencies.
  • Questions about UTILITY OUTAGE unless there is risk to safety or life. (i.e. General Power, Water, Cable TV). Call your utility company. DO CALL for powerlines down. DO CALL for a water main break after 4:30 PM.
  • To get telephone numbers. Please dial 411 for directory assistance.
  • To get the weather report.
  • To get traffic updates for any area outside of Campbell County. We usually don’t know.
  • To complain about interstate and highway construction (unless there is a hazard).
  • To complain about snow removal and street salting service. ONLY call with serious and unusual hazards. The City Public Works department handles critical streets in a predetermined priority list (and dispatch and the police department do not have that list).
  • To ask about trash removal and recycling service and days of service.
  • To ask about Trick-or-Treat, 4th of July Parade etc. Watch the City’s main web page. All main events are posted there.
  • To complain about another police department.
  • To complain about another City department.
  • To argue a speeding or parking ticket.
  • To get the score of the Highlands Football game (Yes, believe it or not, we get them).
  • And last, but not least, watch as you dial. We are not the Cable Company.  Their number is 431-0300, our old dispatch number was 441-0300. We get calls for Pay-Per-View and cable service all the time.


Is there anyway to make 911 more efficient?

Yes, If you see an emergency on the highway or in your neighborhood, let everyone you can know that you have already notified 911 if you are out on the scene. Often times the 911 center is overwhelmed by people repeatedly calling with the same emergency. If you see someone on a cell phone, see if they are contacting 911. If so, that will do it. ALL 911 Calls have to be answered and overwhelming the dispatcher could delay much needed dispatch of help and rescue units.


What are your hours of operation?

We are open 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday thru Friday for general business. Police service is 24 hours to the City for police and emergency service. The dispatch and 911 services are 24 hour a day via the Campbell County Combined Dispatch Center. For administrative needs such as records, Police Clerk, Administrative Lieutenant or Police Chief, the hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm except Holidays. Administrative Telephone 859-441-6562.


What do I do when someone calls soliciting for the Fort Thomas Police Department?

The Fort Thomas Police Department DOES NOT solicit donations. Often times solicitors will call in the name of various charities and drug education programs and advise our residents that the money assists the Fort Thomas Police Department. This is not true. At this time, the police department does not solicit funds via telephone campaigns in any way. We recommend that you be very CAUTIOUS of these callers.


What do I do if I am a victim of fraud over the internet?

A growing area of crime is on the internet. This is due to both the rapid increasing popularity as well as the vast distance this means of fraud covers.
If you are a victim of a scam or fraud over the internet, contact the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC).


I filed a report with an officer. How do I get a copy of this report?

Reports can be obtained from the Police Clerk during administrative hours.


What is the process to become a Fort Thomas Police Officer

You may drop off a resume at any time to the City Clerk’s Office. It will be held on file for up to a year. Fort Thomas Police establish an eligibility list by civil service exam annually. For further information call the City Clerk at 859-441-1055 or see the City’s web pages FAQ’s section.


I received a City Citation? What are my options?

1.) You may pay via mail. The citation is an envelop with prepaid postage.

2.) You may pay in person to the City finance office. (The police Department does not receive payments of any kind.)

3.) You may speak to a police supervisor about it.

4.) You may contest it by having an officer transfer it to a State Citation so that a judge my hear the case.

How much money does the City make from State Citations?

The law pertaining to this issue has just change 04-15-04. House Bill 413 changed the way money is ditributed to the Cities from issued State Citations. You may research House Bill 413 by clicking this link. There is a formula based system now in place for distributions of total conviction funds received. Either way, the money generated goes into the general fund for basic operations of the police department. If you would like to know more, contact the City Administrators Office at 859-441-1055.


Is there a “Quota” that officers must fulfill when it comes to issuing State Citations?

THERE IS NO SET QUOTA for issuing tickets by any entity. Officers issue citation based upon needs determined by drivers themselves such as high speed, reckless driving etc.


My vehicle has been towed by your department. What do I do?

If your vehicle was towed due to an arrest or violation, you either received an on-scene release of the vehicle or it is at the police department. You can not retrieve your vehicle from our contract towing services without the release. Call the administrative police line at 859-441-6562 if you are unsure.

The Fort Thomas Police Department in no way controls or dictates the cost of the impoundment of your vehicle. These prices are set by the towing company and can vary depending on the complications that can arise from towing a car. There are also storage fees for the vehicle which is also dictated by the towing service.

From the 1st of the Month until the 15th of the month, we use Silver Grove Motors. You can contact them at 859-441-2200.

From the 16th or the month until the 30th or 31st of the month we use Simon’s Towing and Recovery. You can contact them at 859-781-1165.


I think there is a traffic and speed problem on my street. What can I do?

You can go to the “On-Line Forms” section of this site and make a request, or you can call the police department and ask for your complaint to be logged. Various options are available to examine the situation. Most times a device called the StealthStat can be placed on the street to check all traffic, and calculates Speed V Time, Car V Time and Car V Speed. The intensive data that is collected will tell our department, and you, whether your perception is correct. If it determines there is a problem, then patrol radar cars can enforce the speed limit more intensively or the speed education trailer can be placed on the street as well in an attempt to slow the traffic.


Comments are closed.