The primary mission of the Fort Thomas Police Department is to coordinate and lead the efforts within the community to preserve the public peace, protect the rights of the persons and property, prevent crime, and generally provide assistance to citizens in urgent situations. The Department is responsible for the enforcement of all Kentucky Revised Statutes, and City Ordinances within the boundaries of the City of Fort Thomas.
The Department must enforce the law in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial limitations of policy authority and the constitutional rights of all persons. It is not the role of the Department to legislate, render judgments, or punish.
The Department serves the people of Fort Thomas by providing law enforcement service in a professional and courteous manner and it is to these people that the Department is ultimately responsible.
Department Values & Beliefs
We value life and dignity above all else. Therefore:
- We give first priority to situations that threaten life.
- We use force only when necessary.
- We treat all persons with courtesy and respect.
- We are compassionate and caring.
We believe integrity is the basis for community trust. Therefore:
- We are honest and truthful.
- We are consistent in our beliefs and actions.
- We hold ourselves to high standards of moral and ethical conduct.
- We are role models for the community.
Laws and Constitution
We believe in the principles embodied in our Constitution. We recognize the authority of Federal, state, and local laws. Therefore:
- We respect and protect the rights of all citizens.
- We treat all persons fairly and without favoritism.
- We are knowledgeable of the law.
- We enforce the law.
- We obey the law.
We strive for personal and professional excellence. Therefore:
- We do our best.
- We seek adequate resources: staffing, facilities, equipment, training, salaries, and benefits.
- We recruit and hire the best people.
- We are receptive to new ideas, to change.
- We meet state-recognized law enforcement standards.
- We lead by example.
- We work toward realistic, mutually agreed upon goals.
We are accountable to each other and to the citizens we serve, who are the source of our authority. Therefore:
- We communicate openly and honestly among ourselves and with the community.
- We are responsive to community concerns.
- We manage our resources effectively.
- We understand the importance of community values and expectations.
- We thoroughly investigate complaints against our employees.
- We acknowledge our mistakes and are open to constructive criticism.
We believe that cooperation and teamwork will enable us to combine our diverse backgrounds, skills, and styles to achieve common goals. Therefore:
- We work as a team.
- We strive to understand those who disagree with us.
- We seek the help and cooperation of others.
- We seek to resolve conflicts.
- We rely on community support and involvement.
- We share our responsibility to serve the citizens of Fort Thomas with many other agencies and organizations.
We are most effective when we help identify and solve community problems. Therefore:
- We work to anticipate and prevent problems.
- We give a high priority to preventing crime and helping citizens feel safe.
- We actively seek opinions and ideas from others.
- We plan, analyze, and evaluate.
- We recognize that crime is a community problem.
- We listen to problems and complaints with empathy and sensitivity.
- We seek innovative solutions.
We are capable, caring people who are doing important and satisfying work for the citizens of Fort Thomas. Therefore:
- We respect, care about, trust, and support each other.
- We are disciplined and reliable.
- We keep our perspective and sense of humor.
- We balance our professional and personal lives.
- We consult the people who will be affected by our decisions.
- We have a positive, “can-do” attitude.
- We cultivate our best characteristics: initiative, enthusiasm, creativity, patience, competence, and judgment.