You can help protect public health, property and the environment by following some of these tips from SD1:
- Sweep grass clippings, leaves and other debris off the street and away from storm drains. Dispose of all waste properly in trash receptacles or recycling bins.
- Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly on your yard and landscaping.
- Never dump, pour or wash oil, chemicals, paint, yard debris, trash or other substances down a storm drain.
- Rake leaves and other debris from your yard and place them in plastic bags or trash bins for disposal.
- During the winter months or in the event of a late snowfall, try to shovel ice and snow away from storm drains to maintain a clear opening.For more helpful tips and information about how to prepare for heavy precipitation, visit www.sd1.org/customerservice/raineventpreparation